Monday, March 10, 2008

Mom And Dad Wilbanks


These are my parents, Frank and Karen. The year is 1979. I don't know exactly where this picture was taken but '79 was the year they got hitched I believe...

My parents are two of my favorite people in the whole world.

Last week was a big week for them. My mom is a high school speech and debate coach and several of her former students are pretty successful in the world of entertainment. One of them, Mr. Ugly Betty we shall call him, is doing a documentary on high school speech tournaments. Last week was the big state competition in Texas. He and the crew were down filming my mom and her students for the big event, doing interviews with them etc...

He actually did my mom's interview at my parents house. I could tell my dad was really excited about it, but he didn't want to let on since it was my mom's big day. He hid in the back room, working on business stuff and tried not to interfere. At the end of the day the producer said they needed to come back to film my parents working in the kitchen and doing things in the backyard. My dad was excited about that.

My dad did make one joke to Mr. Ugly Betty and the gang that bothered me...

They were standing around in the kitchen and my dad said,

"If this movie goes anywhere, there could be a big rift in our family."

A chorus of, "Why?" erupted.

"Well, Karen will have been a movie before Molly."

They all laughed. When this story was being told to me, I did not laugh at this point. Not even a little bit. Once the laugher died down the producer said,

"There is one difference. This one doesn't pay."

That's when I laughed.

One thing you should know about my dad is that he has one rule for my life and career. To support my parents in a lifestyle they would like to become accustomed too.

I love you mom and dad.

On that note, who can come up with a good caption for this picture? Comments...?

No comments: