Monday, April 21, 2008

Sport Stacking

There's a new competitive sport sweeping the nations elementary schools y'all. Sport Stacking.

I spent last Saturday watching kids Sport Stack. Don't you dare call it Cup Stacking, because it's not. It's Sport Stacking.

I freelance for the wonderful peeps of TP&R Casting. On Saturday, I spent the day streetcasting at the WSSA Southwest Illinois Sport Stacking Championships for an unnamed businesses new commercial ad campaign.

Here is a video to give you some visual:



I watched kids do that all day. They set up the competition in a high school gym. There was even sport stacking gear for sale. My favorite was a pair of sweatpants that read "Sport Stackers Kick Butt" on the butt of course.

At first I thought this was a pretty odd sport. And really, when I give it some thought, I can't help but think this game was invented by some drunk frat boyz sitting around one night, bored and drunk. They grew up, became elementary school gym teachers, and voila: one gym unit down, thirty to go.

I watched the opening processional and realized one thing. Sport Stacking is a sport that anybody can do. All these kids seemed to be on the nerdier, less athletic side of things, much like I was. Even physically disabled children have a chance to be part of a team and compete. What a neat little sport!

Sport Stacking even airs on ESPN. There are solo stackers, doubles, and relay teams.

The parents were soccer moms...but for Sport Stacking.

It was a true learning experience.

That being said, I still think drunk frat boyz invented the sport. I also really want to try it...

No comments: