Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Designing Women


I love Designing Women!!!!

I mean, seriously. What's not to love? Four ladies, an Anthony, 80s everything and the South.

The list could go on.

Apparently the first season comes out on DVD today. That one will go on the Christmas list for sure.

In honor, NPR created a mad lib designed after a Julia Sugarbaker rant. I myself can still recite several of Julia's rants in my head. At least I can recite the way she recited them, if that makes sense.

This mad-lib rant has Julia ranting about The Bachlorette, which I don't watch, sorry. But it's still funny. You can create your own here.

You can read mine here:

"I would rather spend two hours sharing gaucamole with Jimmy Hoffa than watch a woman who apparently purchased her intellect at Old Navy for $0.35 chase twenty-five men with biceps made of iron and heads packed with Cheerios.

Because when future generations look upon what we have left for them, which may by then be little more than global warming and millions of non-biodegradable iPhones, I fear they will conclude that they would have welcomed bread and circuses if only they had realized the alternative was Pop Tarts and John and Kate Plus Eight.

[sits down and crosses arms, but then immediately stands back up]

And let me tell you a little something about romance: Handing out roses like you are a mascot throwing licorice whips to the assembled hooligans at the NBA Finals is not my idea of romance. Romance is a man who knows the difference between John Wesley and John Candy and who is capable of putting on a suit jacket without scratching his head as if he is connecting a sub-woofer without the instruction manual.

So do not ask yourself why I do not particularly enjoy a television show where the assembled male candidates represent romantic prospects inferior to the workers on the night shift at the Chili's in Austin, TX. Ask yourself whether, after a lifetime playing with a cultural Lego and dancing on the grave of Don Quixote, you will ever...recover...your dignity."

That was fun.

And now, here's a clip, because you know you've been dying for it:



Oh Julia. You go.


No comments: