Friday, January 29, 2010

How to Survive Self-Inflicted Torture

My alarm is set to go off at 6am. I hate the sound of all alarms, so I have it set to radio. My choice of station is NPR. Soothing voices are a-okay with me first thing in the morning and I swear NPR has some of the smoothest sounding voices (not including CarTalk).

At 6am this morning my alarm went off and the soothing voice from the speakers immediately declared, "Its 6 degrees at 6am on this Friday morning..."

Why would I want to get out of bed after hearing this, no matter how smooth the voice is?

I've had to coach myself over the past few years on how to deal with winter and how to make it through. Honestly, I don't mind winter, cold, ice, or snow. I do mind how long Chicago's winter is. It's torture, but the self-inflicted kind since I do live here by choice.

The beginning of winter is so nice. Hot chocolate, Christmas, Christmas cookies, cinnamon, nutmeg…and then depression and negativity abound.

Here's how I cope:

1) House Hunters International


This show is great. My true favorite episodes are the European and Asian destinations, but thankfully (during winter) those are few and far between. Since this show mostly features families looking for vacation homes or retirees looking for sun, most locations are tropical.


Roatan


Costa Rica

Ooooooh. Let's go.


2) Craigslist – Los Angeles

I used to live in LA, and although it’s not my favorite place in the world, it’s warm right now and I’m not. I get on Craigslist a lot and look at rental properties in parts of LA I could never afford. They have to have pictures in the ad. The pictures remind me of LA and the climate and I can actually visualize myself being there since I lived there and know the ‘ol Angel pretty well.



This is not a rental in LA, but a lovely house on the canals in Venice, CA. Also great. You get the idea maybe.


3) Dexter.


Dexter is set in Miami. Miami is warm. Just watching a show set in a warm climate makes me feel warm. Because Dexter is also a super amazing, quality, awesome, well made show I am mentioning it.*



See how ridiculously content these people look, kind of? I mean yeah, one is a serial killer and there is a limb hanging from the boat in the background. BUT it’s a boat! On an ocean! Don’t you see? It’s warm! Who cares about the threat of serial killers? They have a warm climate and Dexter to do the bad gusy in before they hurt too many more people!


4) Salads and Fresh Fruit.


Mmmmm…


Ahhhhh…

I know I want to eat Velveeta Shells and Cheese, biscuits and gravy and fried chicken all winter BUT fresh food is so pretty and colorful and light! And healthy! I can take away the weight of winter blues with a little fresh veggie and fruit, easy as pie (fresh fruit pie).


5) Gym.


Why Britney? Why not? Working out feels so good and makes me, literally, warmer. I mean come on? And by the time people see me in the spring they gonna be so shocked. I actually have the beginnings of a 2 pack. I’m not joking right now.

There are plenty more things that remind me this time will be over. Even if it really never will be over because it won’t because it feels so cold and I’m dying…wait. No I’m not. I will live through it and so can you. Negative thoughts, leave me alone!


*I am refraining from talking about Real Housewives of Orange County. Yes I watch it. Yes I hate myself a little bit for watching it. At the same time I love myself a little bit for watching it. Don’t watch it though. It rots your brain.

No comments: