Monday, June 28, 2010

The Drama Of No Drama


I'm not a drama person. I'm just not. I will gossip with the best of them, cry when my DVR cuts off the ends of my shows, and throw my mascara during once-a-month fits of rage. But as far as getting along with others, I'm drama free. I don't like it and don't have time for it.

I've had drama friends. We all have. You know the ones. You're out, having a nice time, and all of sudden they are mad at someone else in the group for talking to someone else who they actually like but because they are "drama friends" and there are margarita's around, it suddenly becomes the knock down drama drag out of the year. Every night you're out with this person. I avoid friends like these.

The people you choose to be friends with are easy to manage though. You've chosen them. You either accept their flaws as they accept yours and grow buds of friendy-friend petals OR you realize the flaws are too great and you're at a point in your own life where your flaws are so great you can't deal with their great flaws.

The hard thing comes when the drama comes from people you can't choose. You might be thinking: family. I'm thinking: co-workers. I'm very fortunate to have a family that is drama-free. We just don't have deep-seated drams. I'm lucky that way and I count my blessings everyday.

Co-workers, corporate America, Hell, whatever you want to refer to it as, it's not your choice. For example, take my situation. I'm an actor, but not a well-paid one majority of the time. Therefore, I work in le office. I choose to work in an office because retail does not offer flexible schedules and being waiter means I have to watch every episode of Top Chef much later than the original air date and time. I want it to be my CHOICE to watch shows days later, not a necessity.

Enter my slice of the corporate pie.

I listen and hear about this drama, that drama, this person, that person, oh guess what so and so did, ALL DAY. All day. Sometimes, I am pulled into the drama because it involves some sort of aspect of my job. It's like these people don't have lives. They hate their jobs just as much as they hate everything outside of their job. Everything is a big deal and every problem has a solution that causes a greater problem and no solution. I wish that I could go into detail but I can't right here.

Several years ago (not long after I began at this gem of pie piece) I made a pact with myself to not care and not get involved. So I don't.

Not getting involved and not caring causes way too much drams you guys.

I get so worked up and upset about trying not to care, hearing things I don't care about and being dragged into something I have nothing to do with that my shoulders and back are tense and I can't enjoy my lunch breaks for fear of what drama I will have to avoid when I walk back into the building.

I am actor. I should be going to work, coming home and everything is roses, except for occasionally when sh*t happens and something isn't roses for a day or two.

Instead, I come to work, handle way too much responsibility (whole other blog post there) and drama, come home, spend two hours trying to un-tense my shoulders and brain, only to realize it's time to sleep before the next wave of nightmarish Hell begins.

Avoiding things is not healthy but getting involved and feeding unnecessary drama is also not healthy.

The avoiding drama is killing me. Maybe literally.

No comments: