Tuesday, June 22, 2010

My Long Distance Lover


photo from this adorable Etsy shop.

I often joke that I have a long distance relationship. His name is New York City. We hardly see each other, but our bond is so strong there is no reason to break up just yet. Besides, we really should live in the same place before we decide this relationship isn't worth pursuing anymore.

I don't know what it is about him that made me fall in love so hard.

The first time we met was by a series of events that some might call a disaster but I call fate. I was flying from Los Angeles, California to Tirana, Albania (final destination was Erseke, but couldn't fly there, had to take a bus). My crew and I were to change planes in Newark, NJ. But alas, we were delayed due to weather. Even though we made it on time for our next flight, that flight was international AND another airline. They would not let us through security or check our bags since it was less than an hour before the plane was due to depart. There was lots of yelling (I mean, a lot) and some manipulating until finally Continental provided us a hotel and some food vouchers*.

Our new flight did not leave until 9pm the next night. What is a group of ladies to do when stuck in Newark, NJ for 24 hours? Not hang out in Newark, that's for sure. The woman in charge of missions at our church (this was a church trip) told us to go have fun in New York City for the day.

We did.

I've never been the same since. Isn't it amazing how when you love hits you everything is just right in the world? There's no bad, smells or honey and roses, and my waist felt 2 inches smaller?

Just great.

I'm going back for the Del Close Marathon in July. I can't wait.

I'm coming soon.


*This is only the beginning of what would later be referred to as the Travelpocalypse/Greatest Trip of My Life. Ask me and I will tell you all about it sometime.

No comments: